What to do if my Furnace or Heat Pump isn’t working?
- Step 1 – AIR: Check your air filter! A plugged filter is a common problem. TO CHECK: Hold it up to a light and see if you can see through the filter, or if its plugged with dust. You may be able to vacuum it in an emergency. We recommend replacing the filter on a furnace with an exact replacement as part of your maintenance plan. Some units may have washable filters. Ensure to let it dry and put the filter back in gently, with the airflow pointed the same as actual airflow direction (arrow points toward furnace) Check all the duct registers are open and clear of obstruction.
- Step 2 – POWER: Listen if the fan is running inside the furnace and if the outdoor unit is running (if you have one the fan might be running or might not spin when running if its defrosting, that is normal), if you hear things spinning that is great news – you have power. If it is not, check your circuit breaker is on. If the circuit breaker is tripped, reset it one time. If it trips again a pro will need to come diagnose the fault. OIL FURNACE – oil furnaces have a big red button to reset burner – press once to reset after confirming you have oil in tank using a dipstick. All Furnaces have an ON/OFF service switch, sometimes this is not labelled! Sometimes this may look like a light switch in the mechanical room, ensure that this is turned on.
- Step 3 – THERMOSTAT: Check your thermostat or remote controls digital display is powered on, if not replace the batteries.
- Step 4 – VENTING: Look outside from the ground and see if the exhaust vent appears to be plugged somehow.
- Step 5 – OUTDOOR UNIT: If you have a heat pump outside, ensure its clear of debris, snow and ice.
Check the simple things first! if it was working before, what’s changed?
What if it still isn’t working?
Looks like its time to call in the cavalry! Call our professional technicians at 250-760-0898. If you are outside our service area look up a heating contractor with excellent reviews, who has the appropriate qualifications to work on your furnace.
If you are getting cold in the house its time to get serious! If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace, fire that fireplace up! Plug in electric heaters will also do in a pinch to keep house from freezing. At ServiceXCEL we have courtesy plug in heaters we temporarily loan you for free while we work to get you comfortable again.
Stay warm, safe and healthy!